1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Started university (at UVic which I've wanted to attend since I was 10!) Finally dealt with my PTSD. Accessed the Trans Health Program.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Nope. I started smoking again. But I'm back to being vegan and I'd like to keep it that way.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two of my cousins and one cousin-in-law.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
To share a home with my love.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February and August - Lili's visits
April 1st - my first day at Gab
May 31st - ending of a friendship
August 8th - Tara and James' wedding
August 10th - the day that Justin and i first got together
September 9th - love love love
December 11th - hasn't happened yet, but it will!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Falling in love. Getting into university. Getting the job that I wanted (Gab). Quitting the job that I hated without a back-up plan (overnights at the Safe House). Accessing services about gender and PTSD. Ending four-and-a-half years of celibacy and two years without a kiss. Being public about my gender.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting my PTSD interfere so much with my relationship.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just many nights filled with back pain.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Justin's four-month present.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Justin for being amazing and supportive through my PTSD.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and/or depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, tuition, books, and love.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Justin! The idea of him. The crush. The cuddles. The first kiss. Everything!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Iron and Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights".
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? around the same
c) richer or poorer? richer, but only because I'm paying less rent
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Justin and I are celebrating early with vegan chinese food, tofurky dinner, holiday movies, and a walk along the sea wall. Actual xmas eve will be spent with the immediate family in Coquitlam. Actual xmas day will be spent over brunch with my Dad and then extended relatives with my mum in Surrey.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favourite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
I spent most of the year re-reading Harry Potter, so I'm going to say Narnia.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The National and Deerhunter.
27. What did you want and get?
Love, although from a surprise source.
28. What did you want and not get?
An answer to my funding extension.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
The Dark Knight.
30. What did you do on your birthday?
Played bingo. Ate a rice bowl and chi-cake. Contemplated a lost friendship.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not to have overreacted so much.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Too many to name!
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Love can be without intentional pain.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I am thinking it's a sign that the freckles
In our eyes are mirror images and when
We kiss they're perfectly aligned"